GreaseMonkey4x4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need some assistance with my latest build up!

5 posters

Go down

I need some assistance with my latest build up! Empty I need some assistance with my latest build up!

Post by Guest Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:01 am

Hey ya'll I need some assistance with my latest build up! 216914 I haven't been around much cuz I've been workin my Smarty off in planning this wedding that's coming up on the 6th. affraid Gone

Anyway, our cake is going to be a rock pattern and we are going to have 1/32 scale models of our rigs on the cake for our topper. SO, here's what I've got to start with. I'm going to use the Amigo and 1st Generation Toy bodies and I'm HOPING to put them on these little chassis'. My dilemma is the Toyota doesn't fit on these chassis. So I'm thinking I might have to cut a hole in the bed for the 'motor' to come through the bed so that the body sits down on the 'frame' of the chassis.

I hate to cut the Toyota up. It's in GREAT condition. Any other suggestions rather than cutting it? Any other chassis ideas?

You can kinda tell by my hand how small these are:

(sorry for the cell phone pics. The camera has been at Matt's mom's for 2 weeks Oops )

I need some assistance with my latest build up! Rigs1

I need some assistance with my latest build up! Rigs2

I need some assistance with my latest build up! Rigs3

I need some assistance with my latest build up! Rigs4

The chassis they are supposed to go on:

I need some assistance with my latest build up! Rigs5

Last edited by FFC on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

I need some assistance with my latest build up! Empty Re: I need some assistance with my latest build up!

Post by Just2Much19 Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:01 am

Can you remove the motor? Also you can make a "body lift" on the chassis so that you would not have to cut the body.
Just2Much19
Just2Much19
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 329
Job/hobbies : Insurance
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

I need some assistance with my latest build up! Empty Re: I need some assistance with my latest build up!

Post by Blackdog Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:18 am

Just2Much19 wrote:Can you remove the motor? Also you can make a "body lift" on the chassis so that you would not have to cut the body.

Agree a body lift would be hideous I think, but pulling the motor would be your best bet. Good job

Another "option" (I don't like it, but it is an option) would be to somehow make up a little shell, and then cut the hole for the motor, and then you wouldn't see the motor!

:smack: better idea!! Where abouts does the motor come through? if it comes through kinda centered on the truck (back of cab, front of bed) you could make up a little box for the truck, either a crossbed toolbox or one like the one I have in my bed, to cover the hole and then motor, and it won't look too bad.
Blackdog
Blackdog
BIG TIME MONKEY
BIG TIME MONKEY

Male
Number of posts : 548
Job/hobbies : Fireman
Rig : '91 toy Xcab on 1 tons, dual cases

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:18 am

I'll have to line them up and show you. It lines up with the front of the bed... Body lift won't work, and I can't cut the engine out because the little crawlers are metal and I don't want to destroy the whole setup.

Hmmm.... I like the toolbox idea.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by fordh8r Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:47 am

Or cut it out and add a bunch of stuff around the motor that looks like camping gear to conceal the motor a bit. Then the motor will look more like cargo. gap
fordh8r
fordh8r
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 331
Job/hobbies : Mechanic, wheeling and riding in the dunes
Rig : Mostly stock stuff with a few minor changes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:19 pm

fordh8r wrote:Or cut it out and add a bunch of stuff around the motor that looks like camping gear to conceal the motor a bit. Then the motor will look more like cargo. gap

Another great idea!!!!!! I need a dremmel..... GRRNESS.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdog Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:39 pm

If you get a thin piece of metal (chunk of body sheetmetal) and heat it up, push it down on the section you want to cut out, it'll melt through the plastic Good job
Blackdog
Blackdog
BIG TIME MONKEY
BIG TIME MONKEY

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Good idea!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdog Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:41 pm

Good job it works pretty well. I used to have a piece of sheetmetal about an inch wide and 4 inches long, used it on model cars and stuff. It was just a chunk cut from a fender of an old truck my grandpa had laying around. We just held it over a candle using pliers or welding gloves until it got red hot, and pressed it into the model. It went through fairly quickly. Leaves a melted edge, but it cleans up with a file easily.
Blackdog
Blackdog
BIG TIME MONKEY
BIG TIME MONKEY

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fordh8r Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:49 pm

A hot knife, nice! Yes You might even be able to use a soldering iron in the same way if you're careful enough. gap
fordh8r
fordh8r
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:22 pm

I figured out I think I can take the engine out of the crawlers!!! I need a teeny screwdriver (which I have here at work) so I'm taking that home today to see if it works!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdog Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:17 am

FFC wrote:I figured out I think I can take the engine out of the crawlers!!! I need a teeny screwdriver (which I have here at work) so I'm taking that home today to see if it works!!!

Aww, you don't wanna do that, leave'm functional!! Good job
Blackdog
Blackdog
BIG TIME MONKEY
BIG TIME MONKEY

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:54 am

I can leave the Amigo functional, but no way to put the yota body on the base unless I cut the body and I don't want to do that. I might be able to use a different engine setup on the yota - the one from the original Amigo base.

I painted them last night - pics soon!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:19 am

Here they are once I took the Amigo apart:

I need some assistance with my latest build up! 9c4af792

Mocked up on the chassis:

I need some assistance with my latest build up! Cc7f0bf1

And I am hoping to cut the springs down so that the toyota sits a little lower - it looks better this way:

I need some assistance with my latest build up! E281b97e
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:22 am

My rig is white, his is black so I had to paint them. Tonight I will be assembling them - I think. I don't know how I'm going to do it yet, but I'm thinking I might just use hot glue since they're going to sit on the cake anyway:

I need some assistance with my latest build up! Da9f9a79

I need some assistance with my latest build up! 0337f5f8

I need some assistance with my latest build up! 890be7a2
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdog Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:34 am

FFC wrote:My rig is white,

Are you sure? Twisted Evil

You should chop the top on the amigo, make it look more like yours. I know you've got a hard top, but you never wheel with it on it seems like.
Blackdog
Blackdog
BIG TIME MONKEY
BIG TIME MONKEY

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG BLING Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:26 am

looks nice, you better be able to put my trucks back together again affraid
BIG BLING
BIG BLING
KING KONG
KING KONG

Male
Number of posts : 1962
Job/hobbies : AUTO RESEARCH TECH/ wheelin and building junk
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:30 am

Don't trip Yes
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by fordh8r Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:48 pm

They'll look fine! Praise Don't forget the dents and scratches. gap
fordh8r
fordh8r
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:54 pm

fordh8r wrote:They'll look fine! Praise Don't forget the dents and scratches. gap

I was thinkin bout that. Since the plastic is solid blue/orange, that won't work cuz then there'd be blue and orange scratches on the rigs LOL.

So, I can use a brush and paint over it. We'll see happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay D Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:28 pm

Are you gonna pin stripe the Toyota? biglaugh
Jay D
Jay D
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : ALLDATA TE2
Rig : 81 Toyota Pick Up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:44 pm

Jay D, no we're going to leave them as they are now - DONE!!!

I need some assistance with my latest build up! Bddd9f6a

Matt Wishes happy

I need some assistance with my latest build up! 7d4dcc16

I need some assistance with my latest build up! A7e79e8f

I need some assistance with my latest build up! 45ca705c
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by fordh8r Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:14 pm

FFC wrote:Jay D, no we're going to leave them as they are now - DONE!!!

I need some assistance with my latest build up! Bddd9f6a

Matt Wishes happy

I need some assistance with my latest build up! 7d4dcc16

I need some assistance with my latest build up! A7e79e8f

I need some assistance with my latest build up! 45ca705c
Are these supposed to be racy pics of who gets to be on top? Horny I need some assistance with my latest build up! 758600
fordh8r
fordh8r
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay D Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Nice Cool
Jay D
Jay D
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : ALLDATA TE2
Rig : 81 Toyota Pick Up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down