GreaseMonkey4x4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SUV Eagle Lakes Run turns into Fordyce Rescue Run 6-29-08

4 posters

Go down

SUV Eagle Lakes Run turns into Fordyce Rescue Run 6-29-08 Empty SUV Eagle Lakes Run turns into Fordyce Rescue Run 6-29-08

Post by cougarfreak Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:14 am

Well, this run turned into a rescue run for a J**P friend of mine who broke a chromo rear 44 axle on Winch Hill 1 on the Fordyce Trail. I went to his house Saturday night to pick up his spare axles from his garage (dumbass towed his crap up and didn't load his spares), and left for the hills at 5am Sunday with a couple of other rigs. We arrived at the first water crossing, and guess what gave out... MY stinking POWER STEERING AGAIN!!!!!!! This time it was the box puking ATF... So I pulled off the belt, cleaned up my puke, and muscled it the rest of the way pulling most of the stitching off of my stock steering wheel in the process. We got my buddy his axles, he installed them and we continued on. I looked at WH1 and decided that an alternate 2 ledge obstacle of a bypass (if you wanna call it that) was the lesser of 2 evils, and broke a hub getting winched up the first ledge. A quick change to the slugs I keep for spares from the original waggy set up I pulled off when I first did my SAS, and we were wheeling again. The only other drama on this trip were a few double pumpkin hi centers requiring a quick winch to get over. I feel like Popeye now and can barely move my hands from an entire day of manual steering over the most unrelenting terrain I have been on to date, but the Rescue was a great success... and I got to chalk up my first attempt at the 1st half of Fordyce as a success as well. I'll post some pics when I get them... I forgot my camera, and had to rely on a friend's for shots.

Replacement steering box $100
Replacement premium hub, and spare $100
Original Waggy slugs and caps as spares for the spare, and hand delivering a friend his spare axles for his busted rig... Pricele$$
cougarfreak
cougarfreak
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 69
Job/hobbies : Soccer, Photography, anything offroad, Animal training
Rig : '97 4Runner SAS'd n loaded
Registration date : 2008-01-09

http://www.cougarfreakphoto.com, http://www.cougarfreak.net

Back to top Go down

SUV Eagle Lakes Run turns into Fordyce Rescue Run 6-29-08 Empty Re: SUV Eagle Lakes Run turns into Fordyce Rescue Run 6-29-08

Post by BIG BLING Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:05 am

dang man your new user name should be rescue man Praise Isnt that like 2 rigs less than a few months
BIG BLING
BIG BLING
KING KONG
KING KONG

Male
Number of posts : 1962
Job/hobbies : AUTO RESEARCH TECH/ wheelin and building junk
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Back to top Go down

SUV Eagle Lakes Run turns into Fordyce Rescue Run 6-29-08 Empty Re: SUV Eagle Lakes Run turns into Fordyce Rescue Run 6-29-08

Post by cougarfreak Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:35 am

Dayum, I forgot completely about the Waggy flop, yank, flop, drag... You had me thinking for a minute, and then... BAM memory kicked in... hahahaha
cougarfreak
cougarfreak
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by fortysixandtwo Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:36 pm

cougarfreak to the rescue! Sounds like Fordyce, that place can be pretty savage.
fortysixandtwo
fortysixandtwo
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 159
Job/hobbies : Student
Rig : 1985 Toyota 4Runner
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by cougarfreak Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:07 am

The most difficult wheeling I've done to date. It's relentless, and constant. you get no breaks, except the ones you don't want. Must be why the freaks with 44+ tires like wheeling there.
cougarfreak
cougarfreak
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by cdgvw1 Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:57 pm

yeah, I like it alot.. My only time on Fordyce was in my Blazer. At that time I only had 1/2 tons, 4.56 gears, posi front and rear (rear was pretty much open), th350.NP203, 2" lift and worn down 33" SSR's. So it was pretty much stock.. We wheeled in past the 6 mile marker.. I can't wait till I can wheel it with my current setup. Twisted Evil
cdgvw1
cdgvw1
BIG TIME MONKEY
BIG TIME MONKEY

Male
Number of posts : 598
Job/hobbies : Editor, wheelin, Air Cooled VW's, RC truck's, buildin shtuff....
Rig : 77 K5, 1 tons, 4.56:1, locked rear, 400/465/203/205 (triple sticked & want it on 42's)
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by fortysixandtwo Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:14 pm

Yeah I just went to Fordyce for the first time a few weeks ago and I fell in love. I used to go camping at Bowman lake and around that area, but now that my truck is capable I don't think I will ever go back to bowman. going to just go to fordyce instead!!
fortysixandtwo
fortysixandtwo
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 159
Job/hobbies : Student
Rig : 1985 Toyota 4Runner
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down