GreaseMonkey4x4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

***HELP*** STEERING COLUMN FOR IFS BOX

5 posters

Go down

***HELP*** STEERING COLUMN FOR IFS BOX Empty ***HELP*** STEERING COLUMN FOR IFS BOX

Post by Jay D Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:20 pm

Frustrated I installed HI Steer in my truck but the problem I have is trying to put the column back in. The steering column it self is too long now I am woondering if any one has had this problem. I know you can lengthen the column by drilling the sheer pin and I assume because the purpose of the sheer pin is to colapse the column in an accident I shoul be able to shorten the column but I can not seem to get the column to colapse or expand even after drilling pin any advice?? Question I realize most of the time it is neccesary to lengthen column but where my box is installed it is just a little long. Maybee I was just tired last night but I could not get the column back on. Any way any help or advice would be appriciated. Frustrated
Jay D
Jay D
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : ALLDATA TE2
Rig : 81 Toyota Pick Up
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

***HELP*** STEERING COLUMN FOR IFS BOX Empty Re: ***HELP*** STEERING COLUMN FOR IFS BOX

Post by Guest Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Ouch... I didn't even pull the steering column when I put my hy-steer in.. but then again, I kept the stock box. Ummm... Can you move your steering box to fit your column?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

***HELP*** STEERING COLUMN FOR IFS BOX Empty Re: ***HELP*** STEERING COLUMN FOR IFS BOX

Post by Jay D Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:37 pm

FFC wrote:Ouch... I didn't even pull the steering column when I put my hy-steer in.. but then again, I kept the stock box. Ummm... Can you move your steering box to fit your column?
I already welded in the box mount and all of that so I would rather change the steering shaft I will cut and sleeve the damn thing if I have to. I am just trying to find an easyer way if the shaft is extendable I am thinking I should be able to colapse it. and if it bottoms out in it self I can always cut off some of the inner part. We will see I am going to figure out somthin.
Jay D
Jay D
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG BLING Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:08 pm

cut weld ill help neener
BIG BLING
BIG BLING
KING KONG
KING KONG

Male
Number of posts : 1962
Job/hobbies : AUTO RESEARCH TECH/ wheelin and building junk
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdog Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:52 pm

***HELP*** STEERING COLUMN FOR IFS BOX 980970 I'd just cut it, sleeve it, and weld it Good job
Blackdog
Blackdog
BIG TIME MONKEY
BIG TIME MONKEY

Male
Number of posts : 548
Job/hobbies : Fireman
Rig : '91 toy Xcab on 1 tons, dual cases

Back to top Go down

Post by fordh8r Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:17 pm

If you weld it just try not to damage the nylon injected portion if you can. Once that stuff is gone the tubes may start to come loose and they can start to rattle and be very annoying not to mention not too safe either. sad

If it's just a little shorter you need it should move if you set one end on the ground and smack it good with a BFH till it moves. Once it moves you should be good. Just try not to move it too much, again for the sake of keeping the fit between the 2 pieces as tight as possible. Good job
fordh8r
fordh8r
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 331
Job/hobbies : Mechanic, wheeling and riding in the dunes
Rig : Mostly stock stuff with a few minor changes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duffil Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:29 pm

drill out the plastic pins and slide it together. sounds like you didn't move the box forward, as most of the time you have to extend the shaft.
Duffil
Duffil
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay D Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:33 pm

Torch worked melted out the plastic and now it slides. I will probably put a tack on it to stop rattles but It works.
Jay D
Jay D
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down