GreaseMonkey4x4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Sell or Not To Sell the CJ5...

+2
lil-bronc
Just2Much19
6 posters

Go down

To Sell or Not To Sell the CJ5... Empty To Sell or Not To Sell the CJ5...

Post by Just2Much19 Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:14 pm

So I have been toying around with the idea of selling the CJ5. It only has a 12 bolt rear and a 10 bolt front. I want either 1 ton running gear under it or something with 1 ton. Also the jeep does not break the best and will need a clutch soon. Obviously all of this I can fix but I was just offered 6k for the jeep.

Should I sell it and along with my taxes get something that I already want? Or should I just put that money into making the jeep what I want...

I am soo indecisive!

thinking
Just2Much19
Just2Much19
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 329
Job/hobbies : Insurance
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

To Sell or Not To Sell the CJ5... Empty Re: To Sell or Not To Sell the CJ5...

Post by lil-bronc Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:42 pm

Just2Much19 wrote:So I have been toying around with the idea of selling the CJ5. It only has a 12 bolt rear and a 10 bolt front. I want either 1 ton running gear under it or something with 1 ton. Also the jeep does not break the best and will need a clutch soon. Obviously all of this I can fix but I was just offered 6k for the jeep.

Should I sell it and along with my taxes get something that I already want? Or should I just put that money into making the jeep what I want...

I am soo indecisive!

thinking

Been there, done that..

Then sold it and built what I wanted.
lil-bronc
lil-bronc
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male
Job/hobbies : Micro-Manager
Rig : Blue Buggy
Registration date : 2007-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by lil-bronc Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:46 pm

I am not sure if this will help much but,

What do you really want? What do you want to do with it? How much do you have to make it happen?

I mean you could put 1 ton running gear under the Jeep for less than $2K, maybe even less. But then when do you stop.

Do you want to drive it to and from the trail? I mean I have a neighbor with a sick 4 Runner with 1 ton running gear and exo-cage. Very nice, but I have trouble with the hole sheet metal thing.

If you sell your jeep, how much time do you have to build what you want?
lil-bronc
lil-bronc
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male
Job/hobbies : Micro-Manager
Rig : Blue Buggy
Registration date : 2007-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Just2Much19 Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 pm

Well I figured 1 ton running gear setup with at least 5.13's and front and rear lockers, and rear disc brakes would run me 3k. Then I want to get a truck avenger carb $325, then do something with the brakes because they are manual brakes with no booster or anything and also install a line lock, redo the dash to include some more gauges $150, and new tires $1400.

I got offered 6k for my rig, and have about another 3 - 4 k at the moment to either drop into my rig or add to the money I get from the sale.

At the moment I do not have anything that I can use to trailer it and I like the idea that I can drive it to and from trails, no smog, and it has a 350 which allows me to pull people out of just about any situation.

I would not want to spend years building a rig, well at least not right now. I would like to be up and running by this season.
Just2Much19
Just2Much19
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG BLING Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:09 am

lil-bronc wrote:I am not sure if this will help much but,

What do you really want? What do you want to do with it? How much do you have to make it happen?

I mean you could put 1 ton running gear under the Jeep for less than $2K, maybe even less. But then when do you stop.

Do you want to drive it to and from the trail? I mean I have a neighbor with a sick 4 Runner with 1 ton running gear and exo-cage. Very nice, but I have trouble with the hole sheet metal thing.

If you sell your jeep, how much time do you have to build what you want?

GOOD INFO RIGHT THERE Praise
BIG BLING
BIG BLING
KING KONG
KING KONG

Male
Number of posts : 1962
Job/hobbies : AUTO RESEARCH TECH/ wheelin and building junk
Registration date : 2007-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by oldyellercj Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:00 am

Just2Much19 wrote:So I have been toying around with the idea of selling the CJ5. It only has a 12 bolt rear and a 10 bolt front. I want either 1 ton running gear under it or something with 1 ton. Also the jeep does not break the best and will need a clutch soon. Obviously all of this I can fix but I was just offered 6k for the jeep.

I am soo indecisive!

thinking

wow... what a decesion, well since I own both a Jeep and a Yoda let me chime in Very Happy
I build the CJ for wheelin and after my last attempt at the Con Crying or Very sad I came to the realization that it will never be a crawler Oops cause I dont wanna rebuild the CJ with what it would take fer that, so I bought a Runner that I can build for a crawler the CJ will be my camping and general wheelin rig, Good job the Runner will be my crawler Praise so Ill ask you why not keep both ??? yer CJ can git you around when yer camping and huntin'(if ya do that) and build or buy built a crawler, there are pleanty of them fer sale out there that will take just a little more work to make what you want and need, just my 5 cents worth of popcorn

salute Friendly
oldyellercj
oldyellercj
BIG TIME MONKEY
BIG TIME MONKEY

Male
Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : DUH... dirt mud and rocks... and a little boating slipped in here and there
Rig : 87 Runner
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by skipnrocks Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:02 pm

oldyellercj wrote:
just my 5 cents worth of popcorn

salute Friendly

5 cents? That was like three dollars, i had to take a break and a take a nap to get through it!! Sleep

LOL jk man,

Any news on your decision? I love your rig, and it looks like its pretty well set up for wheel base for crawling. whats your wb at now? Are you running the "HD" 10b front?
skipnrocks
skipnrocks
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 150
Job/hobbies : Perminant Student Aparently
Rig : [IMG]https://2img.net/h/i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/spencer66hwt/thBodyOn1004.jpg[/IMG]
Registration date : 2008-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Just2Much19 Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:32 am

The wb is about 96 inches. I just purchased 1 tons so no more 10b. I have a kingpin Dana 60 with ARB and a 14b with detroit going in soon.
Just2Much19
Just2Much19
Gearhead Monkey
Gearhead Monkey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by skipnrocks Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:29 pm

cool stuff....
skipnrocks
skipnrocks
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 150
Job/hobbies : Perminant Student Aparently
Rig : [IMG]https://2img.net/h/i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/spencer66hwt/thBodyOn1004.jpg[/IMG]
Registration date : 2008-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by fortysixandtwo Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:53 pm

keep the CJ! You need to be wheeling with us this summer Justin. slap them new axles in and get some better brakes and lets party Friendly
fortysixandtwo
fortysixandtwo
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 159
Job/hobbies : Student
Rig : 1985 Toyota 4Runner
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down