GreaseMonkey4x4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what to buy for a jeep??

3 posters

Go down

what to buy for a jeep?? Empty what to buy for a jeep??

Post by jman-mopar Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:40 pm

I am think about getting a jeep cheerokee or a tj or cj. I what to know what other people think about what is the best ride for what I need it for.

I what a depenable jeep to get me from point a - b and snowboarding and back with my gear, and have some pritty good gas milage.

I will probley not be wheeling the rig maybe hit a power puff trail every once a year. I can't break it because I might make it my dailly driver.

also pricing out liftkits for a 3-4in lift with some nice 33 in tires/rims
or should I be looking for something that someone put some money into already and not have to buy a 1000 lift then 800 in tires/'wheels ??

just looking for input I am not in a hurry and have lots of time to save up for my jeep.

any input would be nice about builing it up the right way or good tips to look for it something going wrong.
thinking
jman-mopar
jman-mopar
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 103
Job/hobbies : auto parts sales
Rig : a challeng oh I mean a challenger haha
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

what to buy for a jeep?? Empty Re: what to buy for a jeep??

Post by Tallchevy350 Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:27 am

The first thing you should buy is a tow strap biglaugh
Tallchevy350
Tallchevy350
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 156
Job/hobbies : Grease Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdog Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:13 am

Tallchevy350 wrote:The first thing you should buy is a tow strap biglaugh

Agree

Have you considered a 4runner? what to buy for a jeep?? 980970

Thats what I'd look for. From everything I know of them, tjs and cjs both get pretty crappy gas mileage, even the newer ones, in the mid to low teens I believe, but I can't say for the cherokees. Lift kits are usually a bit more pricey for jeeps as well, especially if you're looking at coil sprung rigs. A 4runner could be had for about the same price, are very reliable (except the 3.0s, STAY AWAY) and not terribly hard to lft depending on the year, and get good gas mileage. Also, a lot of toyotas can fit 33"s without too much trouble.

It would help too if you gave us a year/price range. That way we can be more specific. Good job
Blackdog
Blackdog
BIG TIME MONKEY
BIG TIME MONKEY

Male
Number of posts : 548
Job/hobbies : Fireman
Rig : '91 toy Xcab on 1 tons, dual cases

Back to top Go down

Post by jman-mopar Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:47 am

year and price range ??

well I am thinking 90's and about 3,000 max if it has all the cool stuff I want... or like 1,500 runns good but then put on some snow tries and a 3-4 in lift.

that would be if I decited to add a third velihecal that I own humm or sell my commite car 4cly and buy a newer one and make some payments then the limit would be closer to 10,000 or 15,000

hard to give up my little gas saver with my $2,000 stereo. can't put that in the tj. it would not fit and get stolen to easy.

just doing a little dreaming and pickin peoples brain the 4 runner is a good idea.

the only thing is I really like mopars humm maybe a newer dodge durango but a lot of them have front end problems from the factory!!!

thank you for the input.

jman
jman-mopar
jman-mopar
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Male
Number of posts : 103
Job/hobbies : auto parts sales
Rig : a challeng oh I mean a challenger haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:13 am

Jeremi, you can find a stock and maybe even slightly lifted early 90's runner for around the 3k range. Just make sure the head gaskets have been taken care of before you get it! There is a recall out on the early models with the 3.0L's. But Jason (BD) can tell you allll about that!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackdog Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:21 am

A lot of the HG recalls have been taken care of by now. The recall came out in the mid-late nineties. Good job I want to say that toyota solved the problems in the factory in '93 or so.
As far as the 3.0 goes, personally think it is a flawed design. It is toyota, so it is a decent motor as far as life expectancy once the HG issue was taken care of, if it needed it, but the exhaust system is all screwed up, the collector is too close to the rear d-side cylinder, which cooks the spark plug into the hole, and just puts too much heat right there on that rear corner IMO. For the weight of the motor, it is under powered. IIRC, the 3.0 only has about 20 more hp than the 22re, but with the fuel economy of a v6.
If you want a 2nd gen runner, I'd look for one with a 22re in it, and a 5 spd. The autos for those years really suck, esp. the one behind the 3.0.
Blackdog
Blackdog
BIG TIME MONKEY
BIG TIME MONKEY

Male
Number of posts : 548
Job/hobbies : Fireman
Rig : '91 toy Xcab on 1 tons, dual cases

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum